Re: joe 128+ ASCII characters (was Re: EURO patch)

On Sat, Nov 28, 1998 at 11:32:56PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

> > To restate that: since you have already RTFM, you would have no problem
> > taking -asis back out of your joerc, and passing an option to 'less' to make
> > it escape high-ascii characters again.
>
>     But if I did not?  Now remember why less defaults the way it does?  To
> prevent problems with the display.  So now take it further.  Have someone
> who is having problems with the display and doesn't know how to change it
> because they haven't (or are unable) to RTFM.

I don't know of any terminals that have display "problems" with high-ascii
characters.  Obviously we want to avoid sending raw NUL or ESC or NL or CR
control characters, of course, but that's not the question.  As far as I
know, the worst that can happen if you have a 7-bit terminal is the extra
bit will get lost and the "wrong" character will display.

> > I think defaults should be chosen based on what, statistically, gives the
> > most useful results most often.
>
>     That would be what they are.

That's impossible, since jed doesn't escape high-ascii and joe does.  One of
them must, therefore, not have the most useful default setting.

> > Well, all good DOS comm programs have been 8-bit clean since the 1980's.
>
>     DOS, in case you haven't noticed, is dead.  ;)

So is any 7-bit terminal emulator, nowadays.  8-bit international
characters, however, are most definitely alive and kicking.

Have fun,

Avery