Re: APT [was Re: Is this really the right thing to do?]

Jiri Baum wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Mitch wrote:
> > Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > >
> > > Sounds more like you want an extra dialog telling you which packages will
> > > be automatically removed before starting the update.
> >
> > This would only happen if you never explicitly installed apache and if
> > no other packages depended on apache.  Possible, but no likely.
>
> Actually, I can see it quite easily:
>
> 1) install man2html (in hamm, it's even recommended by something that
> shouldn't even suggest it)
>
> 2) half a year later, put up a web site (hmm, apache is already installed!)
>
> 3) another half year later, upgrade to slink and notice man2html is no longer
> recommended by anything
>

> No?

No.

You forgot step 2.5 where you installed libapache-mod-perl, which would
prevent apache from being deinstalled.  Anybody who doesn't install mod-perl
deserves to have their webserver taken away. ;)

-Mitch

actually, we would hope that the user would toggle the auto flag off
if/when they started using apache seriously.