"Upgrade" from Redhat -> Debian?

Recently I started at a new job (startup, the whole bit) which has half a
dozen linux servers, all running RedHat 5.0. Being as I went from Slackware to
Debian back with 1.1. Over the last month my initial impression of "Ugh" has
gotten worse.

Obviously, any new linux servers I plan to install with Debian, but the
installed server base still exists, and aside from several security concerns
stemming from not upgrading Redhat which I've delt with, I also want to look
into an changeover of the machines to Debian. Preferably in-place, wiping
disks isn't really an option.

My experimentation at home, which included installing a base RedHat system and
seeing how far I could go without breaking things was not promising.
Apparently, without a dozen or so file system links to normalize the
differences, and some rather careful and dangerous first steps the system
quickly becomes non functional.

Has anybody ever actually done this? I searched the debian-devel archives and
found only one other person asking, and he was never replied to.

Please note, several of the problems as felt in the initial redhat systems
(broken libdbm) and differences in installed distributions at customer sites
have directly led to a once strong desire within the company to support
Linux with the product to putting it far on the back burner, which is a shame
as most of the engineers have fought tooth and nail to have linux desktops,
instead of MS based ones.