Re: Release-critical Bugreport for December 7, 1998

Wichert, let me give you a hand cleaning the cruft here:

[ Branden, I'm bcc'ing you, please read the end of this message ]

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 10:45:02AM -0600, BugScan reporter wrote:

> Package: guile1.3
> Maintainer: David N. Welton <davidw@efn.org>
>   29479  installing guile1.3 fails
>   30336  guile1.3 (1.3-7.1) cannot be installed

 I got this. 1.3-9 (in potato) works fine. Any reason for -9 not to be in
 slink?

> Package: libguile3
> Maintainer: David N. Welton <davidw@efn.org>
>   30102  missing shared library
>   30107  just another package bitten by __register_frame_info

 If I'm not mistaken these and 29479 and 30336 are the same bug. Could s/o
 please merge them?

> Package: lists-archives
> Maintainer: Johnie Ingram <johnie@debian.org>
>   30369  Archive doesn't grok some mime types

 How is this release crtitical?

> Package: mozilla
> Maintainer: Debian QA group <debian-qa@lists.debian.org>
>   26712  mozilla: crashes on startup

 <19981130133648.A9475@wi.leidenuniv.nl> from "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" at "Nov
 30, 1998 1:36:48 pm" says:

   This morning, I uploaded a mozilla (latest tarball) compiled with the
   fixed libc6 and libstdc++2.9. It no longer dumps core immediately after
   startup, and should be somewhat usable again (it's still alpha code of
   course). It is marked Maintainer: Debian QA group
   <debian-qa@lists.debian.org>.

> Package: nonus.debian.org
> Maintainer: Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>

>   22287  nonus.debian.org with incorrect layout

 from this bug's page I gather this is fixed... but I can't get to
 ftp.de.debian.org right now:

 ERROR

 While trying to retrieve the URL: ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/

 The following FTP error was encountered:

        Can't set guest privileges.

 (grrr... stupid proxy)

> Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>   29360  xdm: Stopped X without warning/asking

 I'm fighting this one... in my own pacakge (wdm). There's something fishy
 about start-stop-daemon <-> [wx]dm; it's used like this:

	start-stop-daemon --signal 0 --pidfile /var/run/xdm.pid
                                       ^^^^^^^
                                       Branden, please note the documented
                                       flag is --pidfile not --pid

 but it doesn't always work as intended. In fact, most of the time it
 doesn't work as intended. Any suggestions as how to detect if [wx]dm is
 already running? I'm currently looking at something like "ps axh | grep
 xdm", but I don't like it.

						Marcelo

 PS: Did we set a date for the BSD? (Ironic, isn't it?)