Re: critical bugs which can be closed or demoted

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> > > Since this is not an issue of the ftp maintainers but of the package
> > > maintainers I'd rather like to see appropriate bug reports with a
> > > certain severity.
> >
> > AFAIK, the override file overrides the package priorities in the control
> > file (has this changed recently?).
>
> Oh yes, you're right.  But still I think it should be fixed on per
> package basis within each package.  Or we should remove the Priority
> field from the control files since they're useless.

Personally, I like having the priorities in the control files. Then, if I
only have the package I can still tell what priority it is. The fact that
all packages don't do this (it is suggested, but not required, by
policy...last time I looked) makes the idea only sometimes useful, but I
can't always get to the overrides file to check.

When the priority in the control file of the package does not agree with
the priority in the overrides file, there should be a bug reported. (I'm
not conviced whether it should be against the package or the overrides
file. I guess the package, so the maintainer can negotiate any changes in
the overrides file.

Waiting is,

Dwarf