Re: ppp and ip-up.d, ip-down.d

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 01:10:06PM +0000, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Marc,

> Recently, I did some modifications to the ppp package and e-mailed an
> inquiry about that to the package's maintainer, Phil Hands. However,
> he was unable to answer until now.

You are not the only one :(

> May I ask your opinion?

Of course.

> /etc/ppp/ip-up calls run-parts /etc/ppp/ip-up.d and /etc/ppp/ip-down
> calls run-parts /etc/ppp/ip-down.d.
>
> I have modified that mechanism a little bit. The modification has been
> working here for four weeks. I have integrated ip-up.d and ip-down.d
> to a single ip.d that contains scripts like this:
>
> [init.d-like script removed]

Looks nice. I don't need it, but... :)

> As you see, ip-up and ip-down export $PPP_OPERATION which is either
> "up" or "down" and proceed to call run-parts /etc/ppp/ip.d.

What about passing "up" and "down" as first argument. This is more likely the
init-scripts of SysV-Init...

> This way, matching procedures being done at the beginning and/or end
> of a PPP connection are beautifully integrated into a single script
> which is IMHO easier to maintain and less error-prone.

Hmm, what kind of scripts do you have in your /etc/ppp-Directory? My scripts
are too short to be error-prone ;-)

> I would love to see this integrated into a future release of the ppp
> package since I really believe in that concept *grin*

I am working on a new (read: updated) ppp-package which fixes some bugs and a
few wishlist item. I will send it to Phil (I do not like the idea of
non-maintainer-uploads). I am hoping he has the time to upload this package.

> To have "best of both worlds", ip-up and ip-down could check for
> presence of ip-up.d resp ip-down.d and continue to behave the old way
> if the "old style" directories are present and only proceed running
> ip.d if the "old style" directories are not there. This could easily
> be done.

No problem with that.

> It is entirely possible that I am particularly stupid and have failed
> to notice a major design flaw in my idea. I'd really like to hear your
> comments.

The only problem I can see is that you can't change the order the scripts are
run based on up-/down-condition. Perhaps we should switch to an init-like
style with links in ip-up.d and ip-down.d?

cu
    Torsten