Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 11:38:36PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> And about the "bug group", I don't think it can be done without a
> little structure which would have a legitimity. Actually, if you take
> a look at dpkg bugs list, you can get ill... and i certainly would not
> close/manage any bugs without an autorisation... but that's not terribly
> productive.

My idea on a "Bug Group" was not so totalitarian when auditing bugs. They
would basically start by contacting maintainers to see what the status was
on all bugs that were higher than normal severity. The maintainers would
respond in 1 of 4 ways:

1) I am fixing the bug
2) I am unable to fix this bug, I may need help
3) I am not fixing this bug, I am busy, not interested.... (this may be
bad but possible)
4) They do not respond with in an alotted time period (say 1 to 2 weeks)

In case of answer 1 the BG would postpone any action awaiting an upload
from the maintainer. Case 2, the BG would either offer to help or seek the
assistance of other maintainers on -devel. Case 3, would require some one
actually taking full responsibility of the bugs that needed to be fixed,
either a BG volunteer or a volunteer on -devel. Depending on the
maintainers situation it may also warrant the package being moved to wnpp
for adoption.

Case 4 would be handled the same as 3 except that the maintainer would be
notified (even tho they don't respond) that their package is being handled
via NMU for the sake of bug fixes and to hold off any further updates
until contacting the BG.

Very simple and no one should get upset. The only missing thing is the
selection method for BG members every time there is a freeze.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org