Re: Boot Floppie problems.

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Andrew Martin Adrian Cater wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 1998 at 11:24:35PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> >   1) FAT32 partitions STILL don't work! This has been a problem ever
> >      since beta-hamm!

Is this why we all have to buy ourselves a copy of Partition Magic?
Anyone remember the address of the GNU freebie partition resizer?

> > The LILO step also did not work as I have installed linux on a second
> > drive, I see no reason it should do that, it can put lilo in the MBR of
> > the primary disk or in an extended partition on the primary. I know of
> > very few systems that cannot lilo boot from the secondary IDE drive.

-- but Debian is one of them.

My own workaround is to carry around a (very) old copy of a boot-disk from
FT-Linux, which allows me to write my setup to the MBR of the first hard
drive -- something Debian has never allowed me to do from the second hd.

Another workaround I use is to install a copy of RedHat on a spare
partition on the first hard drive (yes !!! really!) because RH auto-susses
all my OSes and partitions beautifully, and then allows me to choose which
to boot from.

So, I agree with Andrew that it's about time we recognised that the *great
majority* of Linux users are actually installing behind DOS, and usually
now on a second hard drive, and the boot-floppies should reflect this.

Idle thoughts.

martin
--
Martin Wheeler   -    StarTEXT, Glastonbury, Somerset, England - BA6 9PH
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                       http://www.startext.co.uk/