Re: Packages difference in different slink arches (was Re: slinkcd v0.95 m68k & Alpha organization)

Paul Slootman wrote:

> > >These two names suggest that some people don't know about naming
> > >consistency.
> >
> > gcc-i386-gnu: Linux host, HURD (i386-gnu) target cross-compiler.
>
> Hmm, I would have expected this then to be called gcc-i386-hurd, given
> the way RMS insists on referring to linux as gnu/linux. Anyway, I can't
> find any reference to the linux host in the name either. So how am I to
> infer from the name that this should run on a linux host?

IIRC, Debian Linux always uses a <arch>-linux string, reserving
<arch>-gnu for the Hurd. And it doesn't necessarily run on Linux - it
runs on any non i386-gnu system for Debian, which currently is only
Linux.

> > gcc-m68k-linux: Linux <non-m68k arch> host, Linux m68k (m68k-linux)
> > target cross-compiler.
>
> ditto.

This one could be ported to Hurd, so Linux <non-m68k arch> might not be
valid if some chooses to do so.

What's a better name for a cross-compiler package?
gcc-crosscompiler-m68k-linux comes to mind, but that's very long for a
package name. The current names are unambiguous, and already in use.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"There's another side of heaven this way - to technical paradise" -