Re: dpkg.log

> That makes since, but the idea behind a central file is so you don't
> need to know which packages to go looking at. If it's all in one place,
> you can just scan thru it without prior knowledge of what may be there.

True, but if you install packages often you will want the log file to be
rotated.  Then you have to remember what day you installed package foo or
zgrep the dpkg.log.? files.  It is not hard to figure out that a file came from
package foo and simply read it's docs.

This also makes more sense from a developer's stand point.  If I change how my
install works from package 1.1.1-1 to 1.1.1-2 and you read the output in the
wrong log file, you may have problems.  However if it were clearly documented
in Setup.Debian or some such that you must now make a foo_user.conf in /etc
rather than the old foo.conf, things would be easy and without confusion
(disregard the fact that the file changed, we all know that things happen).