Re: FWD: RMS and Debian on his Toshiba

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 03:59:17PM +0000, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
[...]
> As much as it pains me I think that I will have to but warnings on my
> web pages not to use Debian on Toshiba laptops. This we don't care
> that Debian does not work on one sixth of new machines atitude and
> besides it's Toshiba's fault for daring to include new techologies
> in laptops they stoped manufacturing months ago, and which have
> been supported by Linux for even longer attidude is plainly rediculas.

Debian boot-floppies have had support for laptops since Debian 1.3 (at
least). I've used them to install Debian 2.0 in two customers' Toshibas
(Satellite, 320 and 4000) on the last four months, using two floppies
(rescue and drivers, the "tecra" flavour), a PCMCIA net card (NE-2000
compatible), and the NFS installation method. The installation went
flawlessly in both cases.

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current has the
current boot-floppies for Debian 2.1. If you wish you may download them,
try them and send me your bug reports. I'll fix them the best I can.
(There are two known bugs I'm working on, "screen blanking on boot", that
happens on some models, and "trying to overwrite cardmgr while extracting
the base system").

If someone wants better support, I may suggest him/her sends me a laptop
where I can test/develop better boot floppies. ;-)

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es