Re: sanity check in init.d

On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 06:39:55PM -0500, Shaleh wrote:
> Ever experimented w/ a "real" daemon before?  httpd, sendmail, etc. start and
> exit, w/o giving any notice.  You must look in their logs.  This is "expected"
> daemon behavior because a daemon does not keep its attachment to a console to
> echo any warnings.

Sometimes this is what happens but not what you want.  If the daemon just
dies on startup I'd like a warning that it couldn't start.  Some daemons
do this and it's quite frustrating.

> Many people complain about how noisy Linux is at boot time.  Adding messages
> that are easily missed unless you are specifically watching the boot process
> seems over zealous and wasteful.  dmesg does not keep them, nor do any logs.

Tell them to quit whining.  =>

The fact that most of the post-kernel stuff isn't logged bugs me a little
actually.

> If you personally want to implement this I would recommend a VERBOSE setting
> somewhere.  If it is on, you get more noise, off is status quo.

This is a good idea, we should do this if possible.

--
"You only have one life.  If you value it, go home."
				-- Highlander