Re: intent to package TETware and VSX-PCTS from TOG

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Joel Klecker wrote:

> At 01:55 +0000 1999-01-12, Jules Bean wrote:
> >On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> >> Why not /opt?  Its established practice in UNIX and is part of the FHS
> >> standard.  All the other suggestions would not follow FHS.
> >
> >Because /opt is to be left clear for third-party packages, not used by the
> >OS packagers (us!).
>
> The word "third-party" does not appear in the FHS WRT /opt, it simply
> says "add-on packages".

I would read that to mean "packages other than those distributed with the
delivered OS", otherwise all Debian packages with priority less than
Standard could be considered "add-on package" and would be required to go
into /opt.

Debian as not yet chosen to addopt FHS, and most of the discussions on FHS
have made it clear that many developers don't want to adopt /opt for
anything delivered by Debian. It was for this reason that I did not
suggest /opt as a viable solution.

Thanks,

Dwarf