Re: FWD: RMS and Debian on his Toshiba

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Can someone tell me what the problem is exactly?
> I installed hamm using the Tecra disks, from CD-ROM, on my 310CDS.
> I installed the pcmcia modules too. It works fine. Whenever I recompile
> the kernel with make-kpkg I rebuild the pcmcia modules too. Easy.
>
> Presumably the problem is in network installations?

The problem is that the ToPIC95 and ToPIC97 controllers are not properly
supported under the 3.0.1 version of the pcmcia utilities. For example
on the Tecra 750 I have at home, my modem card works fine but my
3Com 3c589B ethernet intermitantly, and a Xircom CE3 not at all.
All cards work fine on an older Satellite Pro 400 with the plain ToPIC
controller.

Upgrading to the latest pcmcia (3.0.7) fixed all these problems

> > As much as it pains me I think that I will have to but warnings on my
> > web pages not to use Debian on Toshiba laptops. This we don't care
> > that Debian does not work on one sixth of new machines atitude and
> > besides it's Toshiba's fault for daring to include new techologies
> > in laptops they stoped manufacturing months ago, and which have
> > been supported by Linux for even longer attidude is plainly > > rediculas.
>
> Perhaps we could all be a bit more constructive about this ...

I was trying to be more constructive by suggesting possible ways in
which more up to date hardware drivers could be incoporated into
Debian to ease the installation of Debian on new hardware.

All I got was the status quo is not to do that even if it's a problem
and we have no plans/wish to change it. What alternatives do I have?

JAB.

--
Jonathan Buzzard