Re: Appreciating developers

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 01:35:03AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> > To me, there is sadly little surprising about tech-heads who think
> > anyone without knowledge of O_EXCL to be a total dweep.
>
> If Debian stops being a distribution built by tech-heads then it will
> cease to be worthwhile.
>
> Anyone who doesn't know about O_EXCL (and the dozen or so other common
> mistakes) should not be writing code until they've learned.  I'm
> sorry, but you can't remove requirements for technical competence and
> knowledge from this technical job.

I think the point was in reference to negative comments regarding
those who are less technically proficient.  There is a difference
between saying "it seems as if it would be best for you to study up on
this area a bit more", and "you don't know jack shit about ...., and
therefore must be a really lame person".

For instance, I don't look down upon my compatriots who are limited to
speaking English, but, at the same time, would not entrust them with
any translations:->

Ciao,

        Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org