Re: agreeing with the DFSG (was Re: non-free --> non-dfsg)

Hi Craig,

I get the impression that my objectivity is being misinterpreted again.
IMHO, the idea that developer's should agree with the DSFG and/or the
social contract in their entirety is dangerous and will only hinder
Debian. I don't agree with all of Debian's policies, nor should I have to.
However, I became a Debian developer knowing full well what Debian's
policies are and I will follow them.  When I can longer do so, and that
may never happen, I will leave.  This isn't a threat or anything of the
sort.

My concern is that Debian is becoming (almost) elitist.  Some people are
flat out saying "conform or get out," in a sense.  Is this really a
healthy attitude for Debian to have?  I am not trying to create some sort
of Debian revolution or upheaval.  I am merely expressing my opinions, as
unpopular as they may be.  It is unfortunate that people sometimes
respond harshly when there is no need to so.

I happen to admire Debian a great deal.  If I feel that Debian may be
doing something that may hurt itself then I will speak up about it, just
as any Debian user should.  The fact that my opinions go against what is
apparently the Debian mainstream way of thinking doesn't mean that I
should leave.  "Mainstreamers" may try to convince me that I am wrong but
I am going to do the same if I disagree with something.  There should be
nothing wrong with not agreeing with the mainstream or certain Debian
policies.

If used properly, diversity of opinion should only help Debian.  Those
with opinions that differ from the mainstream should not be branded
"heretics" or encouraged to leave.

-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D 1998/08/26