Re: possible debian cluster

On debian-devel, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> It looks like a big Linux Beowulf cluster kind of thing is going to be
> built here at UNM.  Hundreds of CPUs, at least.  I'd like to convince
> them to use Debian and 21264s, but that's up in the air.  One big
> issue is finding someone good who could be in charge of systems
> software for the beast.
>
> So, if some Debian developer is
>  - competent to handle the networking setup & benchmarking, PVM, etc
>  - potentially desirous of a job doing said
>  - in Albuquerque New Mexico
> please drop me a line, as it might result in (1) a job, and (2) a big
> cluster running Debian.
>
> BTW, a cluster of 256 dual-CPU 21264s with a fast disk farm all
> connected to the national high-speed supercomputer networks could
> recompile a lot of packages quite quickly.

Hi Barak,

Although I don't have any experience setting up a large cluster, I'm
handy with setup and benchmarking, and could be willing to come help
out gratis.

I am a contract administrator and usually work 9-12 month contracts
(currently in Florida).  My contract will be ending Feb 18 and I was
planning on taking some time off for rest and relaxation.  It just happens
that I think I would find setting up a large Debian cluster both resting
and relaxing!

So, if you need some help for a few days to a couple of weeks, and you plan
on doing this late Feb or early March, I would love to come down and help
out whoever you get to lead this.

Mitch Blevins
mblevin@debian.org