Re: pseudo package for upgrades from hamm

Martin A. Soto wrote:
><RANT MODE>
>Many, *many* people has proposed this idea before.  So many, that you
>would be tempted to consider it a simple, natural, and straightforward
>idea.  Nonetheless, it seems that this far, it has been impossible to
>make it part of dpkg, or even to start working on the necessary
>modifications for that purpose.

I don't think anyone's filed that particular idea as a wishlist bug against
dpkg yet. I plan to.

If you want to start, there's nothing stopping you, except your own
inability to figure out other people's code (this is actually a serious
problem for most of us mere mortals :)

If you're serious, you'll probably want to join the
debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org mailing list (hmmm, very hypocritical of me -
I'll have to remember to subscribe myself :)

>The list of bugs against dpkg grows almost daily

Hmmm, we're up to 388.

Critical: 1
Grave: 6
Important: 8
Normal: 256
Wishlist: 66
Fixed: 49
Normal done: 1
Fixed done: 1

It seems a few people are actually going through the bug list and closing
bugs that have been fixed or shouldn't be there. I've done that to a few
of the more superfluous dpkg bugs recently myself.

I encourage you to do the same. :)

>while the very few people who are blessed to touch the source code
>continue to be too buzzy to work on it.

>From what I've heard, Klee Dienes has dropped off the face of the earth,
and Ian Jackson has had to put dpkg aside this year to concentrate on
being leader. I think I remember him saying sometime that he plans to
start hacking on dpkg again after his replacement takes office.

So, the gist of that is that dpkg has been left for dead (well, NMU hell
anyway) for a full year and there hasn't been *that* many complaints.
Just no new features.

>Opening the development model for dpkg would be a great way to overcome
>this sad situation, but it seems that us, poor mortal Debian maintainers,
>are not considered good enough for taking care of the central and most
>important tool in our project.

What tangible changes are you suggesting?

Anyone can currently submit dpkg patches to the BTS, and if they want to
handle the flames, any developer can do a NMU of dpkg.

I think the problem is the lack of people that really *really* understand
the dpkg source, and there's no way for Ian to just "fix" that.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"It's like a love-hate relationship, but without the love." -- jwz, on linux