Re: db of /etc/passwd and /etc/group

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

(The topic is using database versions of /etc/passwd and friends, to speed
up read access. Changes would be made to /etc/passwd, or whatever, and the
databases would be re-genereated from them.)

Craig Sanders:
> the only thing i have against this idea is that it takes a long time to
> generate the db files.

Surely it should be possible to implement things so that the database
files do not have to be re-generated completely every time? I can't imagine
that changing a single datum in any reasonable database format would take
more than a fraction of a second.

Of course, being busy with doing Unnecessary Mail User Agent Programming,
I haven't even looked at how the current implementation is done, but I
do know such techniques are used at big installations running commercial
Unices.