Re: getting kernel 2.2 into slink

> > No.  We had enough problems upgrading from 2.0.35 to 2.0.36.  This would
> > be a major change and have corresponding reprocussions.  I'm sure it's
> > very stable, but it will have incompatibilities.
>
> No-one's saying this would be the default kernel. I think including a kernel
> image would be nice... but if that is too much I'd at least like to see the
> source package get in.

I understand what you're saying, but default or not doesn't make any
difference.  Both will show up in dselect and it would be trivial for
someone to install the new kernel... and then wonder why things don't
work.

Since it is assured that some packages will have to be patched by a
user that wants to use the new kernel, making those users go through
a little bit more effort to get the new kernel is more than offset by
reducing the amount of problems encountered by other users.

                                          Brian
                                  ( bcwhite@pobox.com )

      Management should work for the engineers, not the other way around.