Re: Intent to package rolldice, blackjack

> > Just total, decided that was the important part (if you ask for 3d6,
> > you're only interested in the result, unless you're doing something
> > like method IV of rolling characters in AD&D (I believe), in which you
> > roll 4d6 and take the highest three, in which case do 4x1d6 :)
> >
> > No, only handles the first string, I think... let me try it:
> > midkemia:~$ rolldice 2d8 1d12 3d6
> > 13
>
> In that case, may I suggest output like (goes digging to unbury his dice):
>
> $ rolldice 2d8 d12 3d6
> 2d8:  5  6  (11)
> d12:  2
> 3d6:  6  4  2  (12)
>
> You could optionally have a line giving a total if more than one set of
> dice are rolled, in this case something like:
>
> Total:  25
>
> Or if you're really crazy, you could allow optional + or - to affect the
> total, if that were -d12 above the total would be 21 for example..  If it
> doesn't do EVERYTHING by that point, what more can be said?  =>

Ummm... I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the last part... first part
I understand perfectly, and will start working on tomorrow (gotta still
study for German :p), but I already have constant modifiers, and what
games ask you for variable modifiers (that you couldn't just roll on the
next line and subtract? :)

> > Nope, only first string, but I could just have it loop through the
> > non-option arguments, as well :)
>
> I'll go away before I scare you off from writing a dice roller, much less
> anything more important..  =>

You'll never do that... too much interest has been shown already for me to
dump this... and if I can't do this, how can I ever do anything like help
with the kernel? <g>

> > For your final question... no, I'm always glad to answer them, especially
> > since they usually give me things to think about as to new features :)
>
> Well I'm sure you have that by now..  =>

Sehr richtig!  And trust me, I plan to use these ideas to the utmost...
thanks! :)

Stevie

- --
Stevie Strickland (PGP ID = 23A6D909)	325912 Georgia Tech Station
sstrickl@resnet.gatech.edu		Georgia Institute of Technology
http://computersprache.net/~sstrickl	Atlanta, GA 30332
PGP Key fingerprint = 84 52 C7 EA E6 DB A1 C5  6A C9 D6 B9 88 26 74 FC