Re: getting kernel 2.2 into slink

> > Would anyone object if kernel 2.2 were packaged up at least as a
> > kernel-source package for slink? 2.0.3x would remain slink's default kernel,
> > would be used on the boot disks, etc, but this would let people get ahold of
> > kernel 2.2 easily on a debian cdrom, and it would let us say that debian
> > supports 2.2. (I was at a LUG meeting the other day, and I was asked about
> > this very thing a couple of times; people obviously care about it.)
> >
> > Brian, would this be too grave a violation of your "no new code" rule?
> >
> > (For those not yet in the know -- kernel 2.2 will probably be released next
> > week.)
>
> There is precedent for this as there is a 2.1.125 package in slink now.
> I think it's not a big deal if there are big disclaimers attached that
> slink is not a 2.2 targetted dist.

Disclamers are of marginal use.  It will appear as installable and tell
people to "install me" just as an elevator buttun tells people "push me".
Adding a disclaimer is like taking a door with a big, "pull me" handle
and putting a "push" sign above it.  The "affordance" of the handle
talks far more loudly than the sign.

There is good reason to have new kernels in "unstable", but we're
talking "stable", here.

                                          Brian
                                  ( bcwhite@pobox.com )

       Only half the people in the world are above average intelligence.