Re: bzip2 compressed files

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Josip Rodin wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 01:22:56PM +0000, Russell Coker wrote:
>> Would it be possible to have files such as Contents*.gz also provided in bzip2
>> format to reduce download times when using slow links?
>
>Good idea. And Packages files too.
>
>But that would need implementation in dselect, and will only work
>if bzip2 is already installed. Bzip2 package is not in base IIRC,
>and that would require a bit more changing, like adding another
>180.6k to base_2.2.tgz. I'm sure that there are more problems...

I believe that eventually bzip2 support should be added to dselect and dpkg (I
would like to have packages such as xbooks compressed by bzip2).
I doubt that 180K would be added if it became base_2.2.tbz2, in fact it would
probably be smaller.

>Is there a way to manually download the Packages.bz2, unpack
>it somewhere and make dselect use it? I remember something like
>/var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/packages_something but I'm not sure.

htget ftp://ftp.debian.org/.../Packages.bz2 | bzip2 -d >
/var/state/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org.whatever

Then you have to get apt to recognise the files, once APT is happy then
everything will be fine.  But the real solution is to change dselect and dpkg.

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 3 - 6 months...