Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

Shaleh wrote:

  >On 22-Jan-99 Rafael Kitover wrote:
  >> Sorry to jump in like this, but this seems to only be a problem when
  >> someone would be using apt-get exclusively. Does xbase recommend the
  >> various other packages people expect to have? That would make it simple
  >> enough, a person would then just need to apt-get update;apt-get
  >> dist-upgrade then go into dselect and put on the finishing touches (with
  >> help from various recommends fields). Or is this wrong?
  >>

  >I think part of the problem is also packages like xfntcyr -> xfont-cyrilic.
  >Nothing depends on it (nor suggests it).  So the package gets happily skippe
      >d.

I believe that it is not desirable for xbase to recommend all the many
parts of X.  Could the problem be solved by hacking the dpkg database in
xbase's installation scripts?  The method would be something like this:

   scan the database for the renamed packages
   for each renamed package that is installed
       mark the package for removal
       mark its replacement for installation

     "He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack..."
                         Proverbs 28:27