Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:

> I reiterate my challenge.  Demonstrate to me a manner in which a
> hamm system upgraded to slink, which keeps the old X font and static
> library packages, will be broken.

I hope you will agree that sometimes we have to think about the future.

With the current state of things, a Debian system which is upgraded by
dselect from hamm to slink, from slink to potato, from potato to potato+1,
and from potato+1 to potato+2 may have, say, X version 5.5, and xfonts
version 3.3.2.3-2.

Do you think this may be of any good?
Don't you agree that we should try to avoid it?

--
 "83835090bf2dd62c42b79e7cf5db4081" (a truly random sig)