kerberos, encrypted file systems, secure-linux 0.6, more

I'm wrapping up my first beta disk for (*sigh*) US-only GNU/Linux
security tools.  As many of you know, this quasi-distribution was
the cause of some recent discussions.  See [1].

This quasi-distribution contains material which definitely *cannot*
be exported without permission from my dear uncle:

 - an initial MIT Kerberos 5 package.  Kerberos 4 is available
   from non-US, but the foreign K5 package is apparently not ready
   for regular use.

 - several packages recompiled to use Kerberos 5/GSSAPI authentication:
   CVS, LPRNG, IMAP.  Packages which use Kerberos 4 authentication
   (e.g., AMANDA) have not been recompiled since they can be
   distributed in non-US.

   Actually, these packages are already exported.  But nobody
   outside of the US/Canada can rebuild them. :-(

 - Kernels 2.0.35 and 2.0.36 rebuilt with support for the Berkeley
   (cypherpunks) encrypted file system.  The loop device changed
   significantly in 2.2.0, so I don't know when support will be
   available in that line.  (uname: 2.0.x-efs).  See the article
   in Linux Journal about a year ago.

   (This also requires a patched 'mount' from util-linux 2.9g, and
   that in turn might require newer packages.)

   (These patches may also be available outside of the US; if so,
   someone else could package these kernels for nonus.)

 - xfree86 rebuilt with support for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1.  Unlike
   MIT-COOKIES-1, this authentication method is secure even when a
   network sniffer is present.  The xfree86 MIT-KERBEROS-5 code
   expects a different API than the MIT k5-1.0.5 distribution, so
   I don't have support for it yet.  (This is 3.3.3.1 with modified
   makefiles from a December slink snapshot.)

 - "non-US" mirrors for hamm and slink, since I'm not repackaging
   files already available from those sites.

Before you dismiss the entire idea of US-only packages, I need to
point out that several large companies are already folding Kerberos
authentication into their tools.  Windows NT 5 may not be out for
years, but some cable modem systems use Kerberos authentication
(or a derivative of it) today... and these same cable modem system
use the lack of Kerberos support in Linux as a reason for not
supporting it.  (The Kerberos support in Windows 9x may only be a
crippled DLL... but it's on the "free software" disk these companies
hand out.)  Likewise, some universities use Kerberos authentication
for their on-campus networks.

In other words, is this glass "half full" or "half empty"?

This disk also contains some material which should be exportable,
and I'm offering them for incorporation into Debian (modulo the
comment below):

 - kernels 2.0.35 and 2.0.36 patched with "secure linux 0.6".
   (http://www.false.com/security/linux/).  I don't have too
   much doubt about the value of the patches (do a yahoo search
   on "+secure-linux +patch", but in light of "moduleinfect.c"
   and the problems with TCP-wrappers and util-linux I'm paranoid
   that the patches might have been corrupted.  Some documentation
   follows.  (uname:  2.0.x-s).

 - rainbow: the "rainbow books" on computer security, from
   http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/library/rainbow/.  I don't
   recall seeing an explicit copyright statement, but government
   documents on a government site should be public domain.
   (I can always file a FOIA :-)

I would simply upload these packages, except my "new maintainer"
status has become controversial and I don't have access to the
upload area.

I'm also looking for a distribution site which can handle a large
amount of data subject to US export control; that eliminates cheap
host sites and all OSS sites with automatic mirrors.

A limited number of CD-R disks are available for beta testing.
Preference will be given to sites running Kerberos (typically,
large universities and some cable modem systems).  I'll also
send one to anyone (modulo below) for the price of materials
and postage; call it $5.00.

Due to export regulations, I can only ship the disks to US and
Canadian residents.  I also need your e-mail to state that you
do not intend to export it in violation of US or Canadian law.
I agree the law is stupid and grossly misguided, but I'm still
working to change the system from within.

Bear Giles
bgiles@coyotesong.com

---------------------

[1]
For the record, I highly value "fairness."  In the past, some of
my employers have tried to claim that *any* code I work on at *any*
time and under *any* circumstances is their property.   I told them
to take a flying leap.  I've had universities tell me that all code
developed for classes was their property... and as a graduate
student we weren't always talking about trivial programs.  I said
no way, gave them a theoretical question involving research motivated
by a real world problem faced by my employer, then did all of my work
on my own hardware.

I firmly believe the same thing applies with volunteer efforts.
When I'm volunteering work for Debian, it can set reasonable
restrictions on what it will accept.  It can tell me that all
contributions must be open sourced.  It can tell me that it can't
accept non-exportable software.  It can limit the type of work I
do with computers or bandwidth provided by them.

It *can't* tell me that I can't own any system with Microsoft Windows
on it, or work for a company that uses proprietary software, or (God
forbid), actually make my living writing non-open source software.
The mere fact that I'm volunteering my time to help OSS, instead of
passively accepting the work of others, should be the sum total of
ideological litmus tests required!

Finally, the "commercial use" I can forsee for these packages is
not in the SOHO market.  It's acting as a outside consultant on
tying Linux servers into an existing network with minimal disruption.
The software is free.  My advice is not, and these companies can
legitimately ask that any derived works remain their property.

---------------------

    Secure Linux -- kernel patch
   ------------------------------

==========
 Overview
==========

This patch is a collection of security improvements for the Linux kernel,
all configurable via the new 'Security options' configuration section.

 Non-executable user stack area
--------------------------------

Most buffer overflow exploits are based on overwriting a function's return
address on the stack to point to some arbitrary code, which is also put
onto the stack. If the stack area is non-executable, buffer overflow
vulnerabilities become harder to exploit.

Another way to exploit a buffer overflow is to point the return address to
a function in libc, usually system(). This patch also changes the default
address that shared libraries are mmap()ed at to make it always contain a
zero byte. This makes it impossible to specify any more data (parameters
to the function, or more copies of the return address when filling with a
pattern) in an exploit that has to do with ASCIIZ strings (this is the case
for most buffer overflow vulnerabilities).

However, note that this patch is by no means a complete solution, it just
adds an extra layer of security. Many buffer overflow vulnerabilities will
still remain exploitable a more complicated way. The reason for using such
a patch is to protect against some of the buffer overflow vulnerabilities
that are yet unknown.

Also, note that some buffer overflows can be used for denial of service
attacks (usually in non-respawning daemons and network clients). A patch
like this cannot do anything against that. So I suggest to use the patch,
but fix vulnerabilities anyway as soon as they become known.

 Restricted links in /tmp
--------------------------

I've also added a link-in-/tmp security fix, originally by Andrew Tridgell.
I changed it to prevent from using hard links too, by not allowing non-root
users to create hard links to files they don't own. This seems to be the
desired behavior anyway, since otherwise users couldn't remove such links
they just created in a +t directory. I also added exploit attempt logging.

 Restricted pipes in /tmp
--------------------------

In addition to restricting links, you might also want to restrict pipes
to make data spoofing attacks (like the GCC virus) harder. Enabling this
option disallows writing to pipes not owned by the user in +t directories,
unless the pipe is owned by root.

 Restricted /proc
------------------

This was originally a patch by route that only changed the permissions on
some directories in /proc, so you had to be root to access them. Then there
were some more very similar patches by other people. I found them all quite
unusable for my purposes, on a system where I wanted several admins to be
able to see all the processes, etc, without having to su root each time. So
I had to create my own patch that I include here.

This option restricts the permissions on /proc so that non-root users can
see their own processes only, and nothing about active network connections,
unless they're in a special group. This group's id is specified via the
gid= mount option, and is 0 by default. (Note: if you're using identd, you
will need to edit the inetd.conf line to run identd as this special group.)
Also, this disables dmesg(8) for non-root users. You might want to use this
on an ISP shell server where privacy is an issue.

When using this part of the patch, most programs (ps, top, who) work as
desired -- they only show the processes of this user (unless root or in
the special group), and don't complain they can't access others. However,
there's a known problem with some versions of w(1), which only show this
user when they can't get the command line of others. The workaround is to
use who(1) instead, or install a version of w(1) that doesn't have the
problem (old Slackware 3.1's works just fine: shows other users too, but
without their commands).

================
 How to install
================

Apply the patch. In kernel configuration, go to the new 'Security options'
section. Read help for the suboptions, and configure them. If desired, edit
/etc/fstab to specify the group id for /proc. Build the kernel and reboot.

You may also want to add the following line to your /etc/syslog.conf to
log [security] alerts separately:

kern.alert					/var/log/alert

Additionally, you may do something like this (assuming the log file will
be empty most of the time):

> /var/log/alert
chown root.staff /var/log/alert
chmod 640 /var/log/alert
echo "more /var/log/alert" >> ~your_usual_non-root_account/.bash_profile
chattr +a /var/log/alert

[ The last command doesn't do much unless you raise your securelevel, for
example, with securelevel.c supplied with this patch. ]

Ensure that the non-executable stack part of the patch is working correctly,
use stacktest.c for that -- running './stacktest -e' should segfault, and a
message about possible buffer overflow exploit attempt should get logged to
/var/log/alert (with syslogd configuration described above). If you enabled
the GCC trampolines autodetection, try running './stacktest -t', it should
succeed. If you have trampoline call emulation enabled, you can also try
'./stacktest -b', the exploit attempt should fail even after a trampoline
call in the same process.

Also, check the address libc is mmap()ed at: its most significant byte
should be zero instead of 0x40 like it was before. Use a command like this:

strace /bin/ls 2>&1 | grep mmap\[^\|\]\*\|PROT_EXEC | sed s/\[^=\]\*=//

[ Note: strace doesn't zero pad 32 bit values it prints, so output like
0x119000 means the most significant byte is zero (this value got only 6
digits, while full 32 bit numbers are 8 hexadecimal digits long). If the
patch wasn't applied, the value would be 0x40009000. ]

If you enabled the link-in-/tmp fix, you can also try to create a symlink
in /tmp (as a non-root user) pointing to a file that user has no read
access to, then switch to some other user that has the read access (for
example, root) and try to read the file via the link (like, cat /tmp/link).
This should fail, and a message should get logged (if enabled). Everything
is similar for write access, and for symlinks to files that don't exist.
Now, you can try to create a hard link as a non-root user to a file that
user doesn't own. This should also fail.

========
 F.A.Q.
========

Q: Will you be updating the patch for the new kernel version 2.0.x?