Re: Debian-PPC on RS/6000

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Andreas Plesner Jacobsen wrote:

> Anybody been running debian-ppc on an RS/6000 yet?
> One of my friends and I are playing around with it, but as of yet I
> have been unable to find any pointers on how to install it on
> anything but Macintoshes.

Take it from someone who's been there, done that. With RS/6000's, you are
*always* better off building everything yourself, and cross-compiling from
a PC. And now, for everyone's convience, a quick list of RS/6000's that I
*know* will run Linux. I don't garauntee support on the SCSI or sound, but
I know that they'll boot Linux. And since they've got PCI, just throw in
PCI2.1 compliant hardware. It'll work. :)

- --RS/6000's That Will Run Linux 2.2.x or >2.1.101--

R50 Rackmount Server
H50 PowerPC Server
F50 PowerPC Server
F40 PowerPC Server (2 Processor configuration is what I tested on.)
E30 Workgroup Server
43P Power240 Workgroup Server
43P Model 150 Workgroup Server
43P Model 140 Workgroup Server
F3L Telecommunications Server (Most hardware features unsupported)
F40 3D Workstation
IBM Intellistation (x86! Bah!)

Currently, if an RS/6000 model contains the following hardware or
features, assume the entire system unsupported:

PowerPC with X5 Cache
PowerPC RS64 II
MCA 80M or 160M (MicroChannel Architecture)

I have tested and worked on an RS/6000 F40 PowerPC Server with 256M, dual
processors, dual 6.4G SCSI-UW disks, a Tekram DC390F PCI SCSI controller,
a SoundBlaster 16ASP (Jumpered), and a Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro. What'd I
get working on it? XFree86 (with a LOT of work), kernel 2.2.0-pre9, a
Ricoh MP6200S SCSI CD-RW, mpg123, and some basic services. So it's doable.
But all the distributions have a *LONG* way to go. IMHO, the world would
be a lot better off with Linux-ApplePPC, and Linux-RS/6000. Two seperate
trees. Macs are very different from RS/6000's. Something that works on a
Mac, will not necessarily work on an RS/6000.

Just my $.02USD.

- -Phillip R. Jaenke (prj@nls.net)
 "something is not right, but i don't think it's wrong." --anon.