Re: Call for mascot! :-)

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 12:53:28PM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 10:14:15AM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> <snip>
> > I brought this up on IRC, and got the following suggestions:
> >
> > 1.  Dragon (well-liked choice on IRC)
> > 2.  Octopus (my own suggestion)
> > 3.  Monkey
> > 4.  Ant
> > 5.  Bee
> >

> Yes, that you are..
>
> I say we should go for a nice feline, perhaps a tiger cub?
>
> Then again, I'm quite insane.. <=:]
>
> Zephaniah E. Hull.

	OK. I was thinking of this a lot the night after my exam (a nice way
to forget I have one ;) .. and I think Debian "mascot" should in some way
try to capture some of its essence.
	I feel some of the "essence" in keywords of Debian might be:
volunteers, open source, collaborative work, freedom.
	I choose freedom, it's one that summarises it all, and trying to
find an animal that, universally, would give the impression of freedom, I
limited the choice to two bird species:

	- eagles,
	- hawks

	I like the dragon idea but I feel the "dragon" symbol is not all
that universal, and many cultures tend to associate dragons with evil, as a
matter of fact when culture talks about dragons (in a non-D&D world ;)
there's always a hero that goes out to kill it for its evil deeds.
	Even though I'm a Dragonlance/D&D/Ars Magica fan, I would not choose
the dragon because it's symbolism is somewhat limited... I *would* choose
any of the above because I feel they capture Debian's spirit better.

	Picture a soaring royal eagle, for example, flying wild in a blue
sky, there's nothing which gives a bigger sensation of freedom. And an eagle
is menacing, and powerful, which Debian also is.

	So that's my proposal, sorry for being so "mystical", I'm in exam
days you know .... >:)

	Javi