Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Why exactly are we distributing what amounts to weekly snapshots in the
> main distribution? Maybe you guys should lobby for a snapshots dist for
> truely unstable stuff like this.

*shrug* I don't know. I'm not opposed to removing Gnome stuff from the
dist until it stabilizes; however, I am thoroughly opposed to framing it
as the upstream developer's fault and talking about sending a "clue bat."
We know there are problems. Look at the archives for gnome-list@gnome.org.
We are working on it.

Please keep in mind that Gnome is *huge*, almost as many developers as
Debian, nearly 30 libraries, and many thousands of lines of code written
very quickly. Releasing a tarball, or packaging this stuff, is
non-trivial.

On top of that, we don't have anything like the organization that Debian
has: no voting, no official channels for doing stuff, etc. It's a young
project and time pressures have been intense from all sides.

Attempts are being made to solve things; but if Debian is unhappy, either
move the stuff to experimental, or help us with release management, or
post productive solutions, or file bug reports, or whatever. Heck, Lars
Wirzenius's "Debian Lessons" were very helpful; I forwarded that to the
gnome hackers list.

Thanks,
Havoc