Re: It's Time to Talk About Free Software Again

This is a very good comeback, Bruce!

Unfortunately, while the term "Open Source[tm]" may be less ambigous
and more descriptive to the general public (PHBs and such), it has
come to be associated with ESR's publicity stunts[*] and sometimes
tasteless anti-Microsoft agenda - a bit too much.  Trademark or not,
'www.opensource.org' is what defines this term in the mind of most
people.

  [*] Showing up among professional demonstrators from the 60's,
      dressed up in Star Wars costumes, on "Windows Refund Day",
      being his latest cry for attention.  While it may score in
      the Anything-But-Microsoft crowd, people are bound to take
      OSS and consequently Linux less seriously due to induhviduals
      like that.

I disagree with you when you say it is due to Eric that the world
noticed OSS (unless you refer to the term alone). If anything he might
become more and more of a bad spokesman to more-or-less ignorant &
sensation-monging reporters.

Rant, rant.  Back to the issue; the "Free Software" term has been
managed a lot more maturely, even if associated with more of an iron
clad personality.  Plus, as you say, "Free Software" emphasizes the
associated freedom in a stronger, clearer way.  _That_ is quite
important.

-tor