Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On 18/02, John Goerzen wrote:
| On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 09:10:29AM -0500, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
|
| > John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
| > does, I don't think we should try and dissuade them from it: it might
| > be beneficial in the future---additional portability, more diverse
| > users, etc.
|
| Well, again it's not GPL, so I don't think we could call it GNU.

Why not? GPL is a license while GNU is a project's name, you have a lot of
GPLed software that does not belong to the GNU project (Linux being one
of them). If the Debian distribution is called GNU/Linux, this is not because
Linux belongs to the GNU project, it is because we use GNU utilities with
a Linux kernel. It makes sense to call the FreeBSD port GNU/FreeBSD.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@debian.org