Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 09:54:10AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 04:27:16PM -0600, =>Merlin<= wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see any point to this entire debate - FreeBSD is just another
> > > kernel.  If people want to work on it, fine.
> >
> > yep.
>
> NO!  Is nobody noticing that FreeBSD is BSD license, not GPL?  That
> commercial people can "adopt" it for binary form, and exploit our hard work?
> That this opens up a SERIOUS vulnerability for the free software community?
>
> No?  Well read /usr/doc/copyright/BSD!

At the risk of starting up what may quickly become the largest
debate/flamewar to ever be recorded in archives...

John, why don't you look at the GPL sometime. While it isn't mentioned, it
ISN'T PROTECTED. In case you haven't noticed, Caldera, RedHat, and Pacific
Hi-Tech are doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING WITH LINUX!

The GPL, by your logic, is a 'SERIOUS vulnerability for the free software
community.' There are NO protections against companies like Caldera and so
on. They distribute the source, but at a cost, and the profits go strictly
to them. From the GPL:

  For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code.  And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.

Right there, it says it all. You can charge all you want for GPL. Even if
you aren't the author. So long as you include the license, and the source
code, it's perfectly within the GPL. So the leeches can continue to leech
to their accounting department's content.

| Phillip R. Jaenke       | "Not all wisdom comes from without;  |
| prj@nls.net   -and-     |  much wisdom can only come from      |
| rs6000@linuxguru.net    |  within. Only you can teach yourself |
| Professional Unix Guru  |  some of the most important lessons  |
+-------------------------+  of life." --Takes-Many-Roads,       |
Project Head              |              Silent Strider Theurge  |
- - http://www.nls.net/mp/prj/linux/ -- http://www.nls.net/mp/prj/ -