Re: [RfS] Request for Submissions: Upcoming Debian Logo

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 11:33:04PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> No, no!  Think of Mars.  Everybody immediately recognises that word, in
> that colour and typestyle: they think of chocolate -- not of a planet, a
> Roman god or a piece of music.  Written in ordinary type, it could be
> any of the four, or maybe something else.

I forget which sense I was intending to reply in (lack of sleep catching up
on me), but I was going to mention the very famous Coca Cola logo.

The worst thing about that is probably how hard it is to draw... cf id
software's Quake-series logos.  These are *brilliant*, IMHO - they're
immediately recognisable, simple, flexible, and *easy* *to* *draw*...

Due to its easiness-of-drawing, I have numerous Quake logos all over the
place - every test I do in school has

Q1.  That's the Quake Q.
 2.	 etc, maybe put the QII-logo rather than Q-2.

And other things I own - I'm not anywhere near obsessed, but it just flows
from the hand, and so it became prolific (wrong word?)... non-gamers would
frequently ask me what that bizzare symbol I kept drawing meant. Same with
the Ultima Online 'UO' - I wore the pewter pin of that logo around for a few
weeks, and people thought I'd joined a cult or gang or something :-)

Thoughts.

--
Robert Donn
"IBM don't make nonstandard things.  People just cloned them wrong."