Re: Debian use of GNU (Was: Re: Best of the logo *ideas* so far)

    All linux distros are really GNU/Linux distros. It's only debian that
    publicises it. We are not part of GNU, so we shouldn't use a GNU-like
    logo.

That may presently be true, but NOTE that:
 1) it is ENTIRELY possible to create a distro that doesn't use any of GNU; and
 2) there exist linux installations that are non-GNU.

Debian has chosen to use gnu tools. Other choices are possible. GNU tools are
high-quality overall. I wouldn't think it would be a good thing to go GNUless.

The reasons that most or all linux dists use GNU tools (that I can surmise),
are:
 1) IT'S EASY TO DO SO;
 2) GNU development and linux kernel development have similar styles and
    spirit; and
 3) No one can take them away.

-Jim