Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 03:59:37PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> Use FreeBSD all you want, hell propose we support it in Debian, and
> see how thin our resources get, how huge our distribution get's, how
> many mirrors drop our site, and how many people leave in frustration
> of the growing development costs on their time and energy.

This thing will quite probably die of its own accord, because I highly
doubt most of the people interested in actually doing it have the time
and/or technical skills.

As someone mentioned on the NetBSD list when I enquired about the
idea, there is probably more to it than just "plopping in a new
kernel".  The BSD's use their own C libraries, for instance...  I
guess you could try and do everything in emulation mode, but I can't
see that working all that great...

Better to let people try, if they want to do something, unless it is
*really* wrong.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton               |   Fortune rota volvitur - descendo minoratus
davidw@prosa.it               |    alter in altum tollitur - nimis exaltatus