Re: Debian Logo *Idea* Contest! (Delay for painting contest required)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Jaime E. Villate wrote:

> Thanks. Brandon Mitchel encouraged me to send a gimp version to the
> contest, and I did it last Saturday, but for some reason it doesn't
> appear in the gimp page yet.
That's fine!

> Yes. I've just finished writing a book with 218 figures all done
> entirely
> with emacs and plain postscript. The 218 figs. take up only 405k and I
> was able to e-mail the manuscript to the publisher. If I had used
> bitmaps,
> it would have taken several Mbytes since most figures have 3-d shaded
> surfaces.
That's an impresive thing!  I also used Emacs for "image processing"
but just to make some ready XPMs more smooth.  Far from your
masterpiece!

> I agree. GIF is a bad choice and probably even illegal?
I'm not really sure but I wanted to point the legal experts to this fact.

> while we're at the subject, I should say that the gimp contest, even if
> not ideal, has produced some very nice results. Sure, there are many
> entries which do not qualify as a logo, but on the other hand, I was
> impressed by the high quality of others. Even if they are bitmap images,
> once there is a winner, we can make a vector-graphics version of it.
... using Emacs :) ?

Kind regards

      Andreas.