Re: Diskless boot NFS server image

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

> >> - Linux defaults to mounting root from "/tftpboot/<IPaddress>", however=
> >,
> >> I don't think that this is allowed by FSSTND. Hence I have used symlink=
> >> from /tftpboot/<ipaddress> into and under /var/lib/diskless/. This
> >> allows booting Linux without giving it command line arguments, but it
> >> still breaks FSSTND.
> >
> >I think you can change this by a DHCP parameter. In principle this
> >is also possible with BOOTP but the limited size of BOOTP packages
> >may truncate this boot option.
>
> Do you know what parameter?
>
> Although, I suspect that this won't work if you boot directly
> from the Linux kernel :-(

#	rp -- root path

as from my /etc/bootptab ;-) - the normal root is IMHO the one where
the kernel image is transfered from.

btw. have you had a look on the nfsroot package? Another interesting
option is the Linux-Remote-Boot-HOWTO.

I'm using the nfsroot package to let my terminal boot from my
server. IMHO it's pretty fast - if not I would have dropped this
solution, because it's only a "nice to have". But nfsroot is very
outdated, the concept is IMHO very good, but has to be adopted to
newer librairies and so on.

Bye
  Christian

--