Re: An interest in Debian/68K

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 11:09:31AM -0500, Kenneth R. Allen wrote:
> Will Debian load on the Mac IIvi (built-in CD & floppy), and if so what
> requirements does it have (minimum memory and disk space) for a runnable
> system? I am not looking to write system code, but would like to be able to

Yes, it will work on the IIvi.  However:

1) The keyboard and mouse on the IIvi and IIvx are not fully supported (they
may or may not work, depending on the alignment of the planets and such)
2) The floppy most definitely is not supported.
3) The X Window System will run, but is only usable in black and white on
the local display (running remotely works great, I'm using such a setup to
write this e-mail...) because though we can use colour, we can't program the
colourmaps yet (the IIvi will probaby be one of the first machines to
support this, however, because one of the NetBSD people is almost there)
4) The hard drive will be VERY slow.

12MB of RAM is more than enough; 8MB is probably the minimum.  Disk space...
well, you probably want a bare minimum of 200MB for an actually useful
system (the bare-bones install is about 12MB, but it doesn't do much).

> use the system for some programming (let the kids learn how to program on a
> 'safe' system so they cannot destroy other work) and word processing
> (homework and the like) and play some games.

You can probably use LyX.  It's not quite the same thing a word processor,
though (it's better), and it is likely to be very slow compared to, say, MS
Word 5.0 in MacOS :-) Compiling programs, however, will certainly be no
slower than CodeWarrior under MacOS on a similar system. (believe me, I
learned C using CW11 on a IIsi.  This was *very* painful)

Further questions should go to debian-68k@lists.debian.org.

Cheers

--
dhd@maclinux.plcom.on.ca (wearing my Linux/m68k+Mac+Debian hat)