Re: Corel and Debian [sound config?]

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 11:48:17AM +0100, Roman Hodek wrote:

> > Yes, but Alsa has also a library interface above the kernel layer,
> > so it *might* be possible for some arch's to "emulate" that. But if
> > some sound architectures are alot different in concepts, you can
> > forget it (alsa library requires at least raw audio streams with
> > some frequency, midi music data and some concept of instruments,
> > etc).
>
> That seems to be the problem... Sound on m68k (Amiga and Atari) is
> just "dma sound", i.e. playing an mono/stereo audio stream with
> certain frequences. Nothing else, i.e. no built-in MIDI, no
> instruments, ...
>
> We already had a hard time to implement this in the kernel with an OSS
> interface :-)

hehe, I believe you :)

Under such severe constraints, it is probably better to use a PC speaker
type of emulation :P

But seriously. It is probably more work then a real driver, but can be done.
Even more: You can only implement the stuff that can be done. ALSA is
completely run-time driven, and applications are expected to query the
capabilities of the sound cards.

So, you probably won't have a midi interface, but at least raw audio.

After doing that, you can try top use timidity or so...

In this situation, I don't believe m68k people could add much to Alsa
design, which is centered around latency of midi signals and other profi
sound stuff... OTOH, alsa is flexible to support also small sound
environments, without much features. It will certainly be easier then to
integrate it in OSS!

Thanks,
Marcus