Re: [rono@sentuny.com.au: Making Linux disaster recovery user friendly]

Wichert Akkerman forwarded:
> In the default lilo setup, copy the initial boot kernel to the disk with
> some name like 'vmlinuz.Safe' and put an extra label in lilo.conf that
> uses this preditable kernel. A label like 'Safe'.  Then add some text to
> the lilo boot message like:

I've never had a kernel problem that stopped me from booting. OTOH, when
I've installed recent version of PCMCIA, it hangs my computer. (Older
version didn't run at all.) So I've had to boot into single user mode
and edit /etc/init.d to fix it. My impression is that stuff in init.d
stopping the bootup at least as common as kernel problems causing it, as
long as you're not running 2.1/2.3. This solution scares the user
without really helping safety much.

--
David Starner - OSU student - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
If you want a real optimist, look up Ray Bradbury. Guy's nuts.