Re: Strange PCMCIA/Ethernet <-> pppd interactions

fog@debian.org (Federico Di Gregorio) writes:

> I *don't* eject the card... I don't want to do that. If I eject the
> card all goes fine.

Oh ... okay now I understand.  You are plugging the card into the
laptop, bringing up the connection, and then simply disconnecting the
card from the network, while leaving it in.

The correct way to handle this is to use schemes.  Modify
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts to configure the Ethernet card only when a
specific scheme is being used.  That is, choose two schemes, say "eth"
and "noeth," and modify network.opts as follows:

case "$ADDRESS" in
eth,*,*,*)
--------------------
   stuff omitted
--------------------
    # Host's IP address, netmask, network address, broadcast address
    IPADDR="192.168.0.69"
--------------------
   stuff omitted
--------------------
    stop_fn () { return; }
    ;;
noeth,*,*,*)
--------------------
   stuff omitted
--------------------
    # Host's IP address, netmask, network address, broadcast address
    IPADDR=""
--------------------
   stuff omitted
--------------------
    stop_fn () { return; }
    ;;
esac

By using a blank value in IPADDR, you inform the /etc/pcmcia/network
script to not configure your Ethernet connection.

Then if you want to use your Ethernet card, run as root:

     cardctl scheme eth

If you want to disconnect yourself from the network, first run as root:

     cardctl scheme noeth

This will reconfigure your system and shut down your eth0 network
connection.

Brian