Re: .deb and .rpm package coexistance

> > RPM is a mess. This is why Debian is good. If we allow RPM get into
> > Debian and mess up things, we should just go ahead to use RedHat. :-)
>
> I want to clarify this. I think RPM is a good packaging system. It has its
> strong and weak points, as dpkg (esp. the rpm source format has some advantages
> over dpkg's).

That's right.
RPM was choised by PLD developers.
PLD (Polish Linux Distribution) is an open Linux distribution based on RPM
and I see that their effort in preparing packages is little comparing
to preparing Debian packages.
PLD developers say, their packages are correctly made (dependecies,
config files, their own policy). I think it is exaple of good RPM usage.
(I don't remember original site, mirror ftp://ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/linux/PLD)

> So RPM is not a mess by definition. BUt the quality of rpm packages
> available is what I am worried about. Another thing is that there do exists
> incompatibilities, and people should be aware of them before trying to mix
> distributions.

What about LSB project? I read one goal of this project is RPM package
system..

--

Piotr "Dexter" Roszatycki
mailto:dexter@fnet.pl