Re: dpkg --overwrite still turned on !?!

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 02:55:30PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Matthias Klose wrote:
> > I understand that this was turned on for the slink release, but it
> > seems it's still turned on and many packages already overwrite some
> > files... Just to want to make sure, if this behaviour is intended or
> > if a critical bug should be filed.
>
> We cannot turn it off until dpkg's handling of directories that were
> removed from the filesystem is fixed.  See bug#17381 and friends.

in any case, it *SHOULDN'T* be turned off until there's a way of setting
a per-system default.

turning it off can be dangerous to a system - i've had upgrades screw up
my systems because --overwrite was turned off. this required significant
amounts of manual intervention and fixing of stuff before the systems
were usable again.

by contrast, the worst that can happen with it turned on is that it
becomes a little more difficult to detect buggy packages which don't
properly register over-rides. big deal...at least that isn't dangerous
to the well-being of a system.

perhaps a better solution would be for dpkg to mail a whinge to the
address in the Maintainer field. the more people who install the
package, the more incentive there is for the maintainer to fix the
problem.

i haven't decided if this suggestion is serious or a joke :)

craig

--
craig sanders