Re: Who's working on centralized management?

On Mon 19 Apr 1999, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 08:36:01PM +0200, Jesus M. Gonzalez wrote:
> > 	We have a very simple setup for such an environment. In our CS
> > lab, we have about 40 machines with the same Debian installation. The
> > servers (manually installed) export /usr to all the clients. We use a
> > modified installation floppy to preinstall the clients, download /etc,
> > /var, and some other things, and /usr is NFS mounted from the
> > servers. If anybody find this interesting, I can give
> > details. However, I'll be very interested in discussiong your ideas,
> > Javier.
>
> Yes. please give more details.
>
> I must manage 20 Debian Computer in the future myself.

Same here: i have 50 machines running debian. /usr, /opt, /home are exported
via nfs (ro, ro, rw), and i'm useing nis for the password system. Working
fine, so far.

Installation: /home/install is a second mini debian, exported via nfs,
and mounted by a nfsroot bootdisk. it contains a script to do fdisking,
mke2fs, mkswap, and finaly untar /install.tar.gz (this is
/home/install/install.tar.gz).

since the machines are dual boot workstations with windows, i can't do direct
central system administration. that's why a wrote a script daemon (look
every 10 seconds for machines up with linux), and a maintaince script
(lots of rsync commands, useing ssh and a .shost).

the client/server differences are handled in the maintaince script
(long --exclude lists to not copy these files from the server,
 and the sync the files from /root/pc to the machines).

the client-client differences are very small (xserver, scsi/ide, mouse),
and are only handled when installing: scsi/ide is detected via sfdisk,
xserver is detected via lspci, and mouse: try com1: and fix manual if it
fails (3 or 4 ps2 mouses total). the kernel is big and generic to support
all types of hardware.

andreas