using cvs-buildpackage with debian only packages?

How do I set up cvs-buildpackage to work with debian only packages (no
upstream source file)?

At the moment I get the following errors:

cvs [export aborted]: no such tag debian_version_1_3-1

(fixed by using cvs tag debian_version_1_3-1 in the source dir, but then...)

cvs [export aborted]: no such tag upstream_version_1_3

Thanks,

Chris

The box said "Windows 95, NT or better" .. so I installed Debian Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5