Re: GTK problems - not compiling

On 21-Apr-99 Ben Gertzfield wrote:
>     ijr> Is a bug truely a bug when it is the desired behaviour by the
>     ijr> author?
>
> I think that if anything that doesn't use internal libc functions
> crashes on an upgrade to libc6 2.1, it is a backwards compatibility
> bug in libc6. Don't you?

Well... old programs (compiled against glibc2.0 and glib compiled against
glibc2.0) don't segfault when glibc2.0 is upgraded to glibc2.1.  Just
newly compiled ones (against glibc2.1 when glib is compiled against glibc2.0)
do.

>From the glibc2.1 FAQ:

>2.27.   What needs to be recompiled when upgrading from glibc 2.0 to glibc
>        2.1?
>
>{AJ,CG} If you just upgrade the glibc from 2.0.x (x <= 7) to 2.1, binaries
>that have been linked against glibc 2.0 will continue to work.
>
>If you compile your own binaries against glibc 2.1, you also need to
>recompile some other libraries.  The problem is that libio had to be
>changed and therefore libraries that are based or depend on the libio
>of glibc, e.g. ncurses or slang, need to be recompiled.  If you
>experience strange segmentation faults in your programs linked against
>glibc 2.1, you might need to recompile your libraries.

So, I'd really have to say it's not a bug.  It may not be something that is
desired, but it is rather clearly documented.

Isaac