Debian Installation ideas

After a rather annoying fight while installing slink, it struck me as odd that
we can't choose which modules to load or to exclude during the initial install
from floppy or from CD-ROM.  I got bitten by the WD-7000 detection on an Intel
Venus motherboard.  I'm sure that a number of you have experienced the problem
where the WD-7000 auto-probe will lock up a system.  I personally don't know
anyone that has such a controller.  Since this is a built-in, and not a module,
there's no easy way to work around the problem.  The second CD works, but
doesn't have Adaptec support which I need on this SCSI based system.  So, why
can't we make the WD7000 a module which can be installed the way other devices
can be?  Do we REALLY need to install a root partition before installing a
module which is already there on the CD waiting for us to say we want to use it?
The Adaptec driver being in the base kernel makes sense because there are so
many people with Adaptec SCSI controllers, but the WD7000?

							Dave Bristel