Re: Linux nis and shadow passwords, non Linux clients

Again following up on my own posts, sigh:

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 03:22:58PM +0200, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> Next problem: The net nis master runs slink. A slink client works after
> shadow has been configured and +:::::::: added to /etc/shadow.
> A client runs partly potato, and does not work, i.e. it won't accept nis
> passwords. NIS itself appears to work, i.e. I can see the right owners of
> directories, the homedirs are right, etc. Any known incompatibilities
> between glibc2.1 and shadow nis?
Hrmm, deinstalling nis and installing it again worked. This is getting
Windows like, except that reboots are not necessary.

What should I do however for clients that do not have shadow passwords? Is
there a way to give them a "made up" password file with entries from real
passwd and shadow mixed? (security reasons aside)

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source