RE: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

The one advantage I've seen to storing data as text rather than as a
proprietary data set accessible through 1 API is the issue of how to deal
with the data when it gets corrupted.

When data gets corrupted, and it is in text format, there is somehow a
confidence level because you can actually see where the corruption has
occured and go on with trying to correct it.

If the data is in a proprietary format, just about the best means for
restoration is backup - which usually means a loss of data dependant on the
time delta.

Ironically, the best example I've had to deal with to demonstrate this is to
compare two different email systems: sendmail and Microsoft's Exchange.
Exchange is proprietary, whereas sendmail has it's data stored as text.

I have never had an Exchange server up which did not at some point suffer
data corruption. And try my best to correct the issues with thier recovery
tools, almost always I've had to end up doing a backup recovery.

Sendmail, while a pain-in-the-ass to setup (especially compared to
Exchange), 1) has much fewer times when the system goes down or the data
gets corrupted, 2) when data corruption has occured, I've been able to
restore the email with minimal loss (usually affecting just one or two
people) because of the fact everthing was stored as text.