Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 04:58:24PM -0700, R Garth Wood wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > i hope i'm right. if you fail to see the flexibility and usefulness
> > > inherent in text files, then i can't see how it's possible for you to
> > > design a decent configuration system for unix...you're missing something
> >
> > Well, what can I say to that? I hope you're wrong???
>
> So this is a religious issue for you? Seriously, though, if you're going

It's strange that so many believe so passionately. I must
have hit a chord.

> to do the database thing, do it right. Make the whole system a database:
> why are config files special? Why not store data in the database, too--
> replace the filesystem with the database? There are applications that
> would really appreciate the finer-grained acl's and the version control,
> and it would actually make that incremental backup feature useful. The
> potentials for that are really exciting for certain applications--but
> not for unix. You do all that, and it's not unix anymore. Doesn't mean
> it's better or worse, just different. If you want a paradigm shift, you
> need to make some big changes, you can't just stick stuff on top of an
> existing system--look what happened to windows. (How often did DOS crash
> in 1987 running wordperfect? It was really good at what it did...and
> then someone decided to improve it...)

Now you're cooking with gas. It will happen. It must happen.
Baby steps first, though.

| R Garth Wood                    | Making waves...                     |
| Stormix Technologies Inc.       |                                     |
| rgwood@stormix.com              |                                     |